Victor Fire Department History
The Victor Volunteer Fire Department organized on June 8, 1904, in response to a series of nine fires from 1898 to 1899 that destroyed nearly two-thirds of the Victor business district. On hand to deal with these fires were three hand pumps, some rope, and buckets.
In order to have an organized fire department with little tax burden, three companies were formed: Engine, Hook & Ladder, and Hose. Each company was assigned specific roles when responding to fire calls.
The first chief of the department was HJ Cuykendall; the first president, Frank A. Hopkins. Six months to the day after founding, the Victor Fire Department responded to its first fire at the cooper shop and home of George Murphy.
In July of 1906, the Victor Fire Department pumped out its first flooded basement. In 1907, it responded to the first “mutual aid” call outside of the district to nearby Holcomb. Throughout all of these “firsts” the VFD was quartered in rooms on the second floor of the Gallup Block. In 1910, they moved to their first dedicated building on West Main Street.
Most recently the VFD has purchased back this building and converted it into a firehouse museum and visitor center. In 1968, the VFD moved to its present quarters on Maple Avenue.